Pretty much every brand, company and most individuals have at least one social media account. But so many of these accounts are dormant, badly-managed or just not reaching their full potential.
There’s nothing worse than falling in love with a brand offline, wanting to connect with them online and then finding they haven’t tweeted since 2009 *side eye*.
Managing social media accounts is actually really easy, but people get confused, overwhelmed and sometimes don’t know where to start. Here are five things you can do in under 10 minutes to improve your online presence.
1. Decide on one name. Make sure the name of your Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Periscope are all the same so people know exactly where to find you.
2. Link to your website. This seems so basic, but make sure you’re directing people to your website on every social media platform, after all, that’s the whole point of being on social – to direct people towards a place where they can buy from you/read your content/access your service.
3. Have a consistent bio. Write one fun, dynamic bio for your brand and then use it on all platforms, of course you’ll need your Twitter bio to be shorter than your Facebook one, but start off with the same text.
This shouldn’t necessarily be your company-agreed bio which talks about how you were founded in 19-dickity-two and who your board members are, it should be a bespoke bio for social media.
4. Switch up your pictures. First of all, make sure you have a high resolution profile picture and header image on all accounts. If it’s a personal account then it should be a picture of you, if not – a company logo or product image works well.
Make the header image as inviting as possible and see how it looks on mobile – it appears very differently to on a desktop computer. I use the image above as my header image, shot for my interview with ic3 magazine.
If you can’t find a good image and don’t have the resources to shoot one, see if stocksnap has something that represents your brand.
5. Track your followers. I use a simple spreadsheet to track how many followers I have on the brand accounts I manage, this is not only good for your own records as it shows the impact you’ve had, but you can see what is working and what isn’t from week to week.
Do you have any other quick tips for making your social accounts pop? Add them in the comments!
One thought on “Five things you should do right now to improve your social media presence”